increase decrease
Adjust Text Size

Show History & Report

 

 

The first Flower Show was held in Portishead in 1863.  The records are incomplete but as far as we can determine it seems that the Show has been held every year since except for the war years 1914-18 and 1940-45.  Initially the Flower Show entries comprised of entrants from professional gardeners and non professional, known as cottagers. 

 

These photographs from 1911 are from the Horticultural Society's archives and show ladies and gents attending Shows all dressed in white and sporting straw hats!

 

The Flower Show was initially held in a field off the High Street, it then moved to Battery Road and finally to Clevedon Road, following the purchase of the field by the Society in 1951.  

 

The Flower  Show and Country Fair is organised by the Portishead and District Horticultural Society (PHS) who are affiliated to the  Royal  Horticultural Society.  The PHS present a number of cups and medals to the winning exhibitors including the prestigious RHS Banksian Medal  for the most points from horticultural exhibits.


Show History

 

newspaper cutting of 1911 Newspaper cutting from 1864 describing events at the Portishead Flower Show

 

opening of the show 1911

 

tent at the flower show in 1911

 

 

2015 Show Report pdf icon

spacing image City Web Design